Sunday, August 5, 2012

July 25th: Taco Shells and Venice


We woke up in Cesenatico and went for a run down on the beach. After passing about 10,000 beach chairs we paused and watched the local fishermen for a minute or two. We remembered that we hadn’t jumped in the Adriatic yet...........and innnnnnnnnn we went! 
We got back to the hotel and checked out/ate breakfast. We spent an odd amount of time trying to communicate with the Romanian woman who worked there. We SLLLLOOOOWWWWWLLLLY learned the words for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Which we quickly forgot. Although dinner, I remember, is chena. Like cena in Spanish. We laughed and used hand motions trying to figure out what the heck she was saying. She was actually really helpful.
We drove to Venice. I was tired of driving. Jen was probably tired of me being tired of driving. Now-I’m not complaining anymore about how awful the Italian driving system is. But if I were, this is where I would type a stressed out complaint about the crazy drivers, disregarded speed limit, lack of street names and exits, and general ridicularity on the wicked streets of Italia. But again, I’m not complaining anymore. I got this.
After getting lost and found several times we made it to our hotel and I felt completely useless. Zombie. Tired and hungry. Burnt out. No more decisions for me. Jen dragged me through the grocery store like an 8 year old throwing a tantrum because he “wanted some food thats ready NOW”. She then nearly dressed me entirely to make sure we got into Venice that night. I remember laughing when she was rolling my sleeves of my red plaid “farmer shirt”, noticing that I was basically dead weight at that point. I’m glad she’s here. :)
(Jennifer’s Intermission) Besides rolling his sleeves for him while he sat looking like a helpless little puppy, I think the best description of Nick’s state of mind was his efforts at the grocery store. When Nick needs food. He needs it ASAP. There’s a small grace period, but it’s a fairly urgent matter. Knowing that it was already past the breaking point, I made the point of going off on my own and getting everything we needed. About 5 minutes and a basket full of food later, I find Nick, who walks up and nonchalantly puts a pack of tortilla shells in the basket.... no words. just throws them in. I couldn’t help but look at him and laugh. What the heck are you going to do with tortilla shells?? JUST tortilla shells... Nick wasn’t as amused by that as I was. He couldn’t form full sentences to describe his plan. Probably because he had none. From what I gathered, he was upset about the food choices, and still wanted Mexican food. Needless to say, we did not buy the tortilla shells. In an attempt to revive Nick back to his normal state, I SO generously offered him my muffin ;) (which I was so excited for) and sat and watched him eat it with so little enjoyment... it was so heartbreaking to watch! haha. Luckily he figured it out halfway through the muffin and let me eat the rest ;) (end intermission) 
When we got to Venice things got better. Venice is the single most unique city I have ever been in; for obvious reasons. There are no cars. Only boats. You walk everywhere or take boat taxis. The buildings in the city look as old as they are. And they’re really old. Gothic statues stare at you as you walk by. Some of them are very creepy. 


 Only boats.

 Me posing while standing outside of someone's house. Why? I dont know.


Photography by Jennifer Quick 

We wandered the crowded streets of Venezia and stumbled on a restaurant with outdoor seating in a large square. The owner invited us in speaking in Spanish. I’m such a sucker. Apparently he thought Jen and I looked like we were from Spain. I thought that was fantastic. I spoke with him briefly and then we sat down. Dinner was ok. Good company, but average food.
We spent the rest of the night strolling around the streets, taking pictures, and marveling at the “Disneyworld effect” that the city has. You really feel like you’re in a completely different world when you are there. You should go.

No comments:

Post a Comment